Position Description: Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication
George Fox University announces a tenure-track position in Communication with a specialization in Public Relations and/or Strategic Communication to begin August 15, 2023. The successful candidate will teach a full load of 24 units and maintain an active program of scholarship and service to the institution. We seek a new colleague who is collaborative, embraces digital media, cultural diversity, and has a global perspective. In addition to excellence in teaching, we’re interested in candidates with an active program of current research in public relations or related fields. This faculty member will also serve in the core liberal arts foundation for all undergraduate students.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Our vision is to be the Christian university of choice known for empowering students to achieve exceptional life outcomes. We put students first, with Christ at the center of our work, embracing change in order to improve. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty.
- D. or equivalent in Communication, public relations, strategic communication or related field is required for tenure-track appointment. Candidates with a M.A. in Communication or related field will be considered for limited term full-time appointment.
- Demonstrated teaching ability in public relations and strategic communication classes at the undergraduate level.
- Prior teaching experience in courses such as strategic communications, digital and social media, media campaigns, public relations strategy, PR research, and PR Writing.
- Demonstrated record of professional integrity and strong work ethic, collegiality and commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive working environment and work collaboratively with colleagues and community
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred. Demonstrated success and or aptitude for remote, hybrid, and face to face instruction.
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, employees agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
- Member or Associate Member of PRSA (Public Relations Society of America)
- Evidence of research production through presentations at international, national, regional and/or professional conferences as well as through publications in public relations, communication, media, and/or professional journals.
- Experience supervising and mentoring students in the context of internship and practicum work.
- Excellent communication, evidence of leadership, organizational, and management skills which would suggest aptitude for recruiting and outreach potential, to both grow the program and industry connections to the major.
- Teaching and research strengths which complement current departmental curriculum.
- Professional experience in public relations, strategic communication, media relations, or public works.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated, though candidates with significant teaching experience at previous institutions may be considered for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions. This position is a 9-month contract.
Application Procedures – kindly apply only through this website: https://georgefoxfaculty.applicantpool.com/jobs/850122.html
When completing the online application, please assemble and upload one .pdf document in the section marked Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, and Essay Requirement that includes and combines:
- Letter of Interest addressing the candidate’s aptitude for the qualifications listed in this posting
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including the names of three professional references
- Faith and learning essay*
- Statement of teaching philosophy
Other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply at once. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Priority consideration will be given to candidates who apply on or before November 17th, 2022.
Questions may be directed to: Dr. Steven Classen, Director, School of Communication & Design. [email protected]
*INTEGRATION OF FAITH AND LEARNING ESSAY George Fox University is committed to the idea that one of the primary responsibilities of Christian higher education is to help students develop a uniquely Christian worldview. As teachers and mentors, it is important for George Fox University faculty members to integrate Christian faith and principles in all aspects of their lives. As an essential part of the application process, the University will carefully consider your response to the following: In a one-page essay (about 300 words) describing your personal Christian faith, as well as how your faith informs your teaching, scholarship, and service (including service and leadership in your church and/or in Christian ministries.)