Kirkland, WA 98033
Position Announcement: Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication Studies (Tenure Track).
Northwest University is seeking an Assistant/Associate Professor in Communication Studies with expertise in mass communication, mediated communication, media and society, or closely related fields (ABD considered). The candidate must be an energetic, enthusiastic teacher/scholar who is committed to helping students achieve their academic and career goals. The applicant will teach courses such as mass communication, journalism-oriented courses, introduction to human communication, speech communication, or organizational communication (dependent on individual qualifications). The successful candidate will join a program with concentrations focusing on media, human communication, strategic communication, and dramatic studies.
Candidates must possess a meaningful commitment to Jesus Christ, the church, and the Gospel. We are seeking someone with a winsome, encouraging and culturally engaged faith. Candidates with experience mentoring diverse students, including those from underrepresented backgrounds, are preferred.
Application review will begin December 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Initial interviews will begin in January-February 2020.
Appointment: August 15, 2020 or as negotiated
- Teach courses in the Communication Studies curriculum (24 credits a year).
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Work with the program chair and dean to revise communication curriculum as needed.
- Develop new courses as needed in candidate’s area of research and teaching.
- Participate in the governance functions of the university as assigned.
- Engage in scholarship alongside his/her teaching, related to his/her field of communication.
- Ph.D. in Communication Studies or a closely related field (advanced ABD will be considered).
- Undergraduate-level teaching experience, with documentation of success in teaching, advising, and mentoring relationships.
- A collegial orientation and a willingness to work collaboratively with other disciplines and departments.
- A commitment to teaching excellence in an undergraduate, liberal arts program.
- A demonstrated, vibrant evangelical faith compatible with the mission of Northwest University and the Assemblies of God.
- Willingness to apply a faith-based worldview to course design, instruction, and advising.
Compensation: Dependent on education and experience and based upon the established faculty salary schedule starting at the assistant/associate professor rank.
Application Procedure: For full consideration, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of courses taught)
- Teaching portfolio
- A list of three professional references with e-mail and phone contact information
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s Christian faith shapes his or her approach to the field of communication studies
- A brief narrative describing the candidate’s personal Christian faith, practice, and current local church affiliation
- A one-page research statement which outlines research goals (optional)
Applications may be submitted by email to Sarah Drivdahl, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, at [email protected].
The search committee will begin reviewing applications in December 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.