Assistant Professor of Communication
Northwest University is seeking an Assistant Professor in Communication or a closely related field such as Rhetoric (ABD considered), tenure track. The candidate must be an energetic, enthusiastic scholar/teacher who is committed to helping students achieve their academic and career goals. The successful candidate will teach a wide range of courses including speech, rhetoric/persuasion, introduction to human communication, and topics in communication (intercultural, organizational communication, advanced speech communication, and interviewing) dependent on individual qualifications.
This position will complement a program with strengths in mass communication, interpersonal communication and drama. Experience as a basic public speaking course director or as a coach of debate, speech, and/or Toastmasters would be advantageous. Candidates must possess a meaningful commitment to Jesus Christ, the church, and the Gospel. We are seeking someone with a winsome, encouraging and culturally-engaged faith. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application review will begin December 1, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. Initial interviews will occur in January-February 2017.
- Teach courses in the communication studies curriculum
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Work with the program chair and dean to revise communication curriculum as needed.
- Develop new courses in candidate’s area of research and teaching.
- Participate in the governance functions of the university as assigned.
- Engage in scholarship related to his/her field of communication or allied fields.
- PhD in Communication or its allied fields of study (advanced ABD will be considered).
- Undergraduate-level teaching experience, with documentation of success in teaching, advising, and mentoring relationships.
- A collegial orientation and a willingness to work collaboratively with other disciplines and departments.
- A commitment to teaching excellence in an undergraduate, liberal arts program.
- A demonstrated, vibrant evangelical faith compatible with the mission of Northwest University and the Assemblies of God.
- Willingness to apply a faith-based worldview to course design, instruction, and advising.
Dependent on education and experience, and based upon the established faculty salary schedule starting at the assistant professor rank.
For full consideration, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching portfolio
- A list of three professional references with e-mail and phone contact information
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s Christian faith shapes his or her approach to the field of communication
- A statement describing the candidate’s personal Christian faith, practice, and current local church affiliation
Applications may be submitted by email as PDF attachments to Dr. Sarah Drivdahl, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org. The search committee will begin reviewing applications in December 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.
Dr. Sarah Drivdahl
PO Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98083