Position Description: Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication and Director of Forensics
George Fox University announces a tenure-track position in Communication with a specialization in coaching speech and debate to begin August 15, 2023. The successful candidate will teach a full load of 24 units and with release time for serving as Director of Forensics. Candidate will also be expected to maintain an active program of scholarship and service to the institution. We seek a new colleague who is collaborative, embraces digital media, cultural diversity, and has a global perspective. In addition to excellence in teaching, we’re interested in candidates with experience coaching competitive intercollegiate speech and debate team programs.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Our vision is to be the Christian university of choice known for empowering students to achieve exceptional life outcomes. We put students first, with Christ at the center of our work, embracing change in order to improve. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Communication, or related field is required for tenure-track appointment. Candidates with a M.A. in Communication or related field will be considered for limited term full-time appointment.
- Demonstrated teaching ability in argumentation, persuasion, and strategic communication classes at the undergraduate level.
- Experience coaching and traveling with speech and debate team.
- Demonstrated record of professional integrity and strong work ethic, collegiality and commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive working environment and work collaboratively with colleagues and community.
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred. Demonstrated success and or aptitude for remote, hybrid, and face to face instruction.
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, employees agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight of competitive speech and debate program, including coaching and travel (The program currently competes in IPDA but we are open to other styles of competition including Individual Events).
- Recruiting students, oversight of scholarships, coordinating on-campus events, program publicity, and budget management.
- Teaching Argumentation and Debate and other courses within individuals’ areas of interest and expertise.
- Participate in the work of the department and the university as needed.
- The position is a 4-4 load with release time granted for coaching and travel.
- Evidence of research production through presentations at international, national, regional and/or professional conferences as well as through publications in communication, media, and/or professional journals.
- Experience supervising and mentoring students in the context of internship and practicum work.
- Excellent communication, evidence of leadership, organizational, and management skills which would suggest aptitude for recruiting and outreach potential, to both grow the program and industry connections to the major.
- Teaching and research strengths which complement current departmental curriculum.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated, though candidates with significant teaching experience at previous institutions may be considered for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions. This position is a 9-month contract.
Application Procedures – kindly apply only through this website: https://georgefoxfaculty.applicantpool.com/jobs/982165.html
When completing the online application, please assemble and upload one .pdf document in the section marked Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, and Essay Requirement that includes and combines:
- Letter of Interest addressing the candidate’s aptitude for the qualifications listed in this posting
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including the names of three professional references
- Faith and learning essay*
- Statement of teaching philosophy
Other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply at once. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Questions may be directed to: Dr. Kevin T. Jones, Chair, Department of Communication and Cinematic Arts, email@example.com
*INTEGRATION OF FAITH AND LEARNING ESSAY George Fox University is committed to the idea that one of the primary responsibilities of Christian higher education is to help students develop a uniquely Christian worldview. As teachers and mentors, it is important for George Fox University faculty members to integrate Christian faith and principles in all aspects of their lives. As an essential part of the application process, the University will carefully consider your response to the following: In a one-page essay (about 300 words) describing your personal Christian faith, as well as how your faith informs your teaching, scholarship, and service (including service and leadership in your church and/or in Christian ministries.)